CompTIA Security+ is a leading entry-level certification in the IT industry and it is recommended for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in the field of cybersecurity. Certification is a global credential that certifies the skills and knowledge needed to perform specific security functions as well as pursue a career in the Information Technology industry.
There are six domains that are detailed in the certification (SY0-501) exam objectives. To pass the exam, you will be required to acquire the skills and knowledge needed to become certified, starting from the ability to identify and evaluate possible risks and ending with the ability to ensure infrastructure security and troubleshoot cybersecurity issues.
What do you need to know about the CompTIA Security+ certification?
CompTIA Security+ is the first security credential that future professionals in the IT industry are advised to pursue. The certification is designed to establish the critical knowledge baseline that is required for any role in cybersecurity. It also acts as the catalyst to the intermediate level of cybersecurity jobs. CompTIA Security+ provides the best practical troubleshooting skills.
It is designed to equip the security department professionals with the hands-on problem solving skills required to efficiently working the area of cybersecurity. The professional in cybersecurity positions who also possess the CompTIA Security+ certification have what it takes to identify and resolve security incidents. This certificate is fully compliant with the standard of ISO 17024. For instance, it has been approved by the U.S. Department of Defense as one of the requirements to get a job offer within this institution.
If you are preparing for a career in the field of Information Technology, CompTIA Security+ is one of the certifications for you to consider getting. It does not really matter whether your organization is willing to pay for the training or not. You should take the first step and invest in your future career. Earning a certification is definitely a great way to enhance your prospects in the job market.
The CompTIA Security+ credential from PrepAway is one of the numerous certificates that are highly sought-after in the IT industry. There are many opportunities that you can tap into after earning your Security+ certification.
Below are some tips that you can use to plan your CompTIA Security+ career:
Understand the career path basics
After earning your certification, your next step should be getting acquainted with the different options that are available to you. You should know this before you map out your career path. Many professionals begin their career as help desk managers which gives them the opportunity to work on different applications. There are some others who volunteer or carry out internships for non-profit organizations to boost their resume.
Starting out with these jobs is not a bad choice but you can get to the peak of your career with the right certification in your hands. With the important details CompTIA Security+ certification credential, you can get an entry-level job as a systems administrator. If you get this position you can later choose to follow the career paths highlighted below:
- Network Security Engineer or Information Security Administrator
- IT Auditor or Information Security Analyst/Engineer
- Security Compliance/Information Manager or VP of Information Security
- Chief Security Officer
How to find a job after earning the CompTIA Security+ certification?
As soon as you earn your certificate, the next step is to start pursuing your brand new career path. In case you are already working as a security administrator in an organization, it is important that you let your employer know of your new certification so that you can be considered when a new job opportunity comes up.
Irrespective of whether you currently have a job in the IT industry or not, you need to update your profile on recruitment sites with information on your new credential. LinkedIn is one of such sites which is known to be a great platform where the leading IT companies are looking for potential employees and you might get a job offer soon after demonstrating your certificates.
In addition, you can also start your job search through the following methods:
- Local recruiters It is a common practice among employers in Information Technology to fill open positions in their organizations with the help of recruiters. This is basically because these recruiters specialize in getting the right candidate for the job. You can begin your job search by finding and contacting a local tech jobs recruiter.
- It has been recently reported that more than 85% of job vacancies in organizations are filled through professional networking. This is why it is highly recommended that you don’t become isolated in your professional sphere. Establish a network with your fellow professionals because you don’t know who might contribute to your career development.
- Job fairs Local job fairs are a really great way to contact recruiting organizations. Even if the job opening in the organization is not a tech position, you can still make use of it when your desired job position is finally available.
- Vacancy board Of course, the chances of getting a job through vacancy boards might be lower than through the use of other sources because once jobs are posted online, they become highly competitive. Nevertheless, you lose nothing by looking through vacancy board postings and applying for your desired tech job.
With a proper IT certification such as CompTIA Security+ you can get a lucrative job offer that will propel your career and increase annual income. However, it is important that you do not stop studying, even after landing a job of your dream. You need to continually upgrade your skills so that you don’t become outdated. There are other certifications you can pursue to keep yourself up-to-date with the skills needed to perform efficiently in the Information Technology industry.