Beef producers that wish to sell livestock to two of Equity’s largest buyers must obtain Beef Quality Assurance certification.
In August, patrons selling livestock at Equity received notification that beginning Jan. 1, 2019 (and Jan. 1, 2020 for other buyer), that the large buyers would only purchase cattle that are BQA certified.
BQA follows these six points: Demonstrates commitment to food and safety and quality; Safeguards the public image of the dairy industry; Upholds consumer confidence in valuable beef products; Protects the beef industry from additional and burdensome government regulation; Improves safe value of marketed beef cattle; and enhances herd profitability through better management.
BQA certification can be achieved by logging in on the BQA website www.bqa.org. Producers will need to register and sign up and complete one of the free courses which best fit their particular operations.
Upon gaining certification, please provide name and the name of any entity you sell under, as well as certification number and expiration date. That way, Equity can make the proper announcement at the time of sale.
Equity has also set up BQA training sessions at several of the company’s markets for those who prefer classroom instruction. To register, contact Jayde Farbo at 800-728-2333 at the Wisconsin Beef Council, or contact your local Equity market. Cost is $15 per person to cover instructor costs and fees.
- Rolling Hills Rehabilitation Center, 14345 County B, Sparta. 5:30 p.m., Sept. 25. 608-269-3104
- Monroe Market, N1365 Hwy 69, Monroe. 12 p.m. Sept. 27. 608-328-8344
- Johnson Creek Market, N6225 County Y, Johnson Creek. 1:30 p.m. Oct. 18. 920-699-3588
- Bonduel Market, 455 N. Cecil St., Bonduel. 1 p.m. Oct. 26. 715-758-2125
- Altoona Market, 5150 Hwy. 53 south, Eau Claire. 1 p.m. Oct. 26. 715-835-3104
- Stratford Market, EP4363 Hwy 97, Stratford. 12:30 p.m Nov. 2. 715-687-4101
- Lomira Market, N11579 Industrial Dr., Lomira. 12 p.m. Nov. 8. 920-269-4351
- Waukon Market, 1645 Hwy 67 North, Waukon, IA. 10 a.m. Nov. 17. 563-568-4501
- Richland Center Market, 26702 County O, Richland Center. 12 p.m. Dec. 5.
Read or Share this story: https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news/state/2018/09/21/livestock-producers-prompted-take-beef-quality-assurance-training/1382544002/
Source link Google News